Sunday, July 31, 2011

When You Reach Me-Review



When You Reach Me

Rebecca Stead

ISBN 9870375850868

$6.99

Buy it here.


A good friend of mine suggested I would love this book because I love Madeline L'Engle and a Wrinkle in Time.


She was right.


When You Reach Me tells the story of Miranda, who did strangely remind me of Meg from Wrinkle. Both had brown, plain hair. Neither were terribly popular. Both had lost something and were searching for it.


But where Meg searched for her lost father and attacked the world for hurting her... Miranda wasn't sure what she was missing, only that it was gone. Mysterious notes lead her down a path to understanding time and the people around her in a whole new way.


I think that was what captured me (and still holds me, to be honest) about L'Engle's writing. All of the characters had that feeling... that nothing is quite as it seems and what it is, isn't quite as it should be. I have always felt that way... I think everyone can identify with that sense of notrightness.


Time and science fascinate me, so when an author takes them, bends the rules as to what we know and explains why this should be logical, I am in heaven. Stead does this masterfully with her description of 'the veil' and trying to explain the time space continum through the eyes of a child.


Fantastic, fantastic read and for that friend of mine who loaned it... Not only did I treat it gently but I am also very grateful for the loan :)


No comments:

Post a Comment