Monday, November 1, 2010

Day One NaNo


Since I am clicking away at the keyboard, I just wanted to share what some others have said about writing. Here is hoping one of these passages inspires you as much as they do me...

Words - so innocent and powerless as they are, as standing in a dictionary, how potent for good and evil they become in the hands of one who knows how to combine them. ~Nathaniel Hawthorne

If my doctor told me I had only six minutes to live, I wouldn't brood. I'd type a little faster. ~Isaac Asimov

Easy reading is damn hard writing. ~Nathaniel Hawthorne

Fill your paper with the breathings of your heart. ~William Wordsworth

Writing is a socially acceptable form of schizophrenia. ~E.L. Doctorow

There is nothing to writing. You just sit down at your typewriter and bleed. - Hemingway

I am returning this otherwise good typing paper to you because someone has printed gibberish all over it and put your name at the top. ~English Professor (Name Unknown), Ohio University


Be obscure clearly. ~E.B. White

When you are describing,
A shape, or sound, or tint;
Don't state the matter plainly,
But put it in a hint;
And learn to look at all things,
With a sort of mental squint.
~Charles Lutwidge Dodgson (Lewis Carroll)

If I don't write to empty my mind, I go mad. ~Lord Byron

What no wife of a writer can ever understand is that a writer is working when he's staring out of the window. ~Burton Rascoe

The best time for planning a book is while you're doing the dishes. ~Agatha Christie

The coroner will find ink in my veins and blood on my typewriter keys. ~C. Astrid Weber

How vain it is to sit down to write when you have not stood up to live. ~Henry David Thoreau

Writing a book is a horrible, exhausting struggle, like a long bout of some painful illness. One would never undertake such a thing if one were not driven on by some demon whom one can neither resist nor understand. ~George Orwell

No comments:

Post a Comment