Monday, January 6, 2014

Counting it Down to Some Like It Royal: 7 Disney Princesses

I can hardly talk about all things royal without bringing up Disney and their princesses. After all, like any other girl of my generation, I was weaned on Disney. I even got married at Disney World (but that's a story for a whole other day.)

Not all Disney princesses are created equal and I would argue that while we consider all Disney heroines princesses, they weren't always a "princess" to start with. I have my favorites, I'm sure you do, too!


The following list is in no particular order, but I'll share my thoughts on my favorite princesses as I go.

Aurora, Sleeping Beauty

I actually liked Aurora a lot, in large part because she was a genuinely nice girl whose real identity was kept a secret. Turns out the fairies had a good reason for keeping it from her--she was being hunted by Maleficent. I loved her dance with the faux prince created by the animals in the woods. If I had one item on my bucket list, that would be one I'd like to do. What? I'm just saying.

Belle, Beauty and the Beast

She's our rags to riches girl, because Belle wasn't born a princess. In fact, her father was considered the town kook--but she was beautiful (which the town folks noticed), and smart (which I noticed). She's also loyal, kind and really creative. She didn't truly start to fall for Beast until he introduced her to his library. Now that's my kind of princess.

Cinderella, Cinderella

Again, not born a princess though she was the daughter of a wealthy landowner. She gets the award for being way too nice for her own good. After her father passes away, she's forced into servitude by her wicked stepmother and abysmal stepsisters. Still, Cinderella doesn't let it get her down--she sings, she dances, and she still believes enough that a fairy godmother gets her into the royal ball. Me? I would have been lacing her family's food with laxatives cause they all needed to loosen up. Yes, I said it.

Jasmine, Aladdin

The girl had a tiger for a pet, 'nuff said. Course, you can also add feisty, independent and wanting to be anywhere but where she was which was cosseted behind high walls. No wonder Aladdin took her on a magic carpet ride.

Merida, Brave

Kudos to Disney, by the way for taking the concept of "princess" and needing to be "saved" to a different level. One of the things I admired about the film was that it was the story of love and acceptance between a mother and a daughter--and let's face it, this Chieftain's daughter was pretty bad ass in her own right. She didn't need a 'prince' to save her.

Elsa and Anna, Frozen

These two stole my heart in Frozen, hands down my favorite of all the Disney princesses. Elsa's love for Anna was so strong, she locked herself away to keep her sister safe and Anna adored her right back, she braved many natural disasters (including her own clumsiness) to save Elsa. While Elsa eventually is crowned Queen, they will always be my favorites.

So who are yours?



1 comment:

  1. Belle is my total favorite, though I really fell in love with Rapunzel (the artist part). Mulan is also a favorite (loved her no-fear attitude). Cinderella, I never particularly liked--she was always so reactive instead of proactive. Same with Snow White. I know, a product of the eras. :) I really adored Frozen--and Elsa and Anna are so similar to the personalities of my oldest daughters. We're heading to Disney next week (we got engaged there, in front of Cinderella's castle, just as Tinkerbell came down her rope and the fireworks began--this was before they started blocking off that area. Hubby still drops to one knee and reenacts the moment every time, and I try to go any way around the castle rather than through it to avoid the scene...). But yeah, Belle, the quiet dreamer who saw beyond the exterior, took up for the weak, and always stood up for what was true and good--she's my favorite princess...

    ReplyDelete