Sunday, October 27, 2013

A serious writing career...

I keep waiting for the morning when I wake up and feel like a 'real' writer. Like I'm not a child dressing up in my mother's heels and acting the role of grown up.

I mean, I often go without showering, wear my pj's all day long, and forget to eat on deadline. I even sometimes look a bit like this...but with skittles hair.

I write the books. Lots of the books. I do the editing, I write the dreaded synopsis. I create query letters and attend conferences.

Still, I feel something like this when I sit down to write:



Then again, I've felt like that at every single job I've ever held. It's occurred to me that maybe all of adulthood is like that. We're all filling our roles, acting it out, but inside we're still that kid who colored the picture, showed it to our mom, and kind of figured she'd not be impressed.

My point in all of this is that a bunch of you have expressed to me that you don't feel like 'real' writers. Like you think there is some magical piece of paper or handshake you'll get that will make it feel real...

I've talked to a bunch of authors. I've been one for years now...

It's not going to happen. Keep with the clickety clacking, have fun with it, because no one can take it away from you if it is your dream...

Sadly, nothing is going to make you feel like less of a hack, either. So, well, buck up princess. It only gets worse.

And on that happy note...

*grin*

2 comments:

  1. So--that is an awesome pep talk. *g*
    I figured that I will never feel like an author and really, I cannot call myself one without feeling pretentious. On the other hand you and some of your author friends--yeah, you guys ARE authors--and spectacular ones at that.

    I believe in Virgie's, I do, I do...*claps* *Virgie's light grows brighter with belief* ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Sadly, nothing is going to make you feel like less of a hack, either. So, well, buck up princess. It only gets worse."

    Some days I feel as though you're speaking directly to me.

    ReplyDelete